The Cranbrook History Centre is a key visitor attraction in the East Kootenay and we pride ourselves on giving our 7,000+ annual visitors a rewarding, enjoyable, and entertaining experience. We are a non-profit, driven by a small, dynamic, and passionate team. We have unique historic collections and are enthusiastic about telling Cranbrook’s story to the world.
Position Summary: The position of Historical Interpreter is a unique opportunity for students with an interest in history, tourism, education, and/or museum studies, who would like to build a variety of new skills over the summer months. Our historical interpreters are the heart of museum’s summer programming, as they are responsible for leading the daily tours of historic railcars. Additionally, they are expected to assist with one of the museum’s three summer programs as the Kids Club Leader, Archives Research Assistant, or Walking Tour Guide. In these roles they will deliver programs that connect the museum with our community throughout the summer season.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
• Deliver informative and engaging interpretive guided tours of the historic railcars and museum to visitors.
• Share with visitors the museum’s significance, identity, and mandate.• Greet tour groups, introduce the museum, and deliver museum rules to visitors.• Help develop and lead delivery of one of the museum’s three summer public programs (to be decided once the work term begins)
• Cash and credit card handling and accurate accounting of cash registers and drawers in accordance with museum policies.
• Participate in museum maintenance, including event set up and breakdown in the Royal Alexandra Hall.Core Competencies and Qualifications:
• Prefer a background in history, English, museum studies, archaeology, anthropology, tourism, education, or related field.
• Must be a full-time student, between the ages 16-30, who is returning to their studies in the fall.• May not have another full-time job (over 30 hours per week)
• Eligible to work in Canada.
• Vulnerable Persons Criminal Record Check completed
• Level One First Aid
• Must be registered with Young Canada Works at www.youngcanadaworks.ca
Please send your resume and cover letter to through the website with the subject “CHC Historical Interpreter” We appreciate all applications; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted
.Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Pay: From $15.75 per hour
We are in a period of growth and change as an organization and are looking for talented people to help us innovate!
About the City of Cranbrook
The City of Cranbrook is located in southeastern BC between the Canadian Rockies and the Purcell Range of the Columbia Mountains. If new to Cranbrook, you’ll quickly discover that you’re only seven minutes to anywhere you want to be. Hiking and biking trails are within a 10-minute drive from downtown! That means peaceful lakes, great river valleys, and ski hills surrounded by nature are right at your fingertips. This is a community where nature is close to downtown and the city’s history & culture are a sight as impressive as our wild spaces. Find out more about Living & Working in Cranbrook, BC.
The safety of our staff and guests is our top priority. Under the directives outlined by WorkSafeBC, the BC Health Authorities and other governing bodies, protocols and policies have been put in place in both staff and public areas and activities to keep staff, volunteers, and guests safe. For further details please feel free to contact our us or view further information on some of our operational protocols here.
Thanks for your interest in the Cranbrook History Centre, one of the Kootenay’s premier historical sites!